2 August 2016

Moving Out // A Few Tips

LIFESTYLE

Today's the day I'm finally moving out and getting my own place with Dan - It's kindv'e exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. It feels like it's been a really long time coming and I can't wait to get in and get sorted - we have a lot of decorating to do! There are quite a few things I've learnt along the way when it comes to buying a property so I though I'd share a few things I wish I'd known a little earlier and could've told myself.



Don't Rush Yourself
Whilst we'd been talking about moving out for quite a while, when we actually went to the bank to discuss mortgage options it all suddenly became very real and I thought it would be no time at all before we were moving in to our house. In reality there was a lot more meetings and things to discuss aaand of course we had to find the house for us, in the right price range. I would say don't rush yourself when looking at houses, after all it's the biggest purchase of your life! Shop around to find the best mortgage for you - it may seem like a hassle but you could get yourselves a better deal in the long run.


Budgeting & Spreadsheets Will Become Your Best Friends
I'm really lucky in this aspect as Dan is a complete organisational freak - we currently have a very large ring-binder full of paperwork! I'm much more relaxed when everything is in order and it's nice to know where everything is if you need to check a piece of paperwork. We also made a spreadsheet of all our in and outgoings so we can budget properly month by month which has totally helped me relax a bit more when it comes to money.

Don't underestimate All The Other Costs
Before we started this process I didn't know much about things like stamp duty and solicitors fees but it's really important to budget for these, as well as all the other little things that can really add up - insurance, council tax, gas, water, electricity, internet, TV liscence etc. It can seem scary but just talk to your parents or others you know that have moved out and you'll get a rough estimate of what you can expect to pay - all in all the best thing is to be prepared!

We're off to pick up the keys in a minute - wish me luck!
Copyright © Rosie Luck 2014-2018