14 December 2016

Let's Get Christmassy // Drying Oranges

LIFESTYLE

Now I know this is a bit of a strange and completely random post but don't you just think there's something so Christmassy about dried oranges! I always see them being sold alongside cinnamon sticks and pine cones but they're really expensive so I thought what the heck - why don't I just make my own.


These were really easy to make, you just need a bit of patience when it comes to how long they take in the oven! Get your hands on a few big oranges and a sharp knife before slicing the oranges - I cut mine pretty thin as they dry quicker this way but it doesn't matter too much; maybe around 1cm thick. 


You can then place the orange slices on kitchen roll before covering with more kitchen roll to soak out any of the excess juice - trust me you wanna get rid of as much juice as possible at this stage (without squishing your oranges!). Then just pop your slices onto baking trays and whack them in the oven for a good 2-3 hours on a very low heat (you do not want these to burn ha!). Just keep checking on them every now and again and you'll be able to tell when they're getting dry - when they're ready, let them cool before using them wherever you want to add some festive cheer!

I used mine alongside some pine cones in a bowl on my coffee table, but they'd look lovely strung up with some cinnamon sticks and dried lime orrr as part of a Christmas wreath. Please let me know if you decide to make any dried fruit this year or any other Christmas DIY's, I'd love to have a nosy!

Copyright © Rosie Luck 2014-2018